20080211

ten female vocalists that i would totally do (based mostly on their songs)


Martina Topley-Bird
I'm just a girl
With featherweight curls
When I heard this song in Indigo Prophecy (during a shower scene, incidentally), I knew I had to have it. And then I tracked down the British release of her CD, because on the American release they decided to leave off some tracks.

You won't get the impression from this one track, but she's really, really versatile.














Adele Bethel from Sons and Daughters
You made the first move
When I was near you
Turned wrong to right
Sons and Daughters sound like they are just waiting to beat someone senseless and a large part of that is Adel Bethel's borderline-screaming.



Ninja from the Go! Team
It's the blast from the past
Superb in every word
Ninja is not only a fine rapper and dancer but a great guitarist and drummer, because everybody in the Go! Team can pretty much do everything. And she has cute socks.

That Asian girl in the Go! Team seems pretty cute too, but I never really got a good look at her.




Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth
I don't wanna
I don't think so
Another entry in the "girls who sound like they can kick everyone's asses" department. She doesn't sound like she'd be married with a daughter, but she is. Oh well.






Hello Saferide
Would you freak out if I said I liked you?
Do you walk the line?
Is your IQ higher than your neighbor's?
Is it very much higher than mine?
Easily beats out Kimya Dawson for "most adorable singer ever." I guarantee that I would be good to her and respect the fact that she is scared of feet.


Leslie Feist
We'll collect the moments one by one
I guess that's how the future's done
This is the first Feist song I heard. The album version is much more produced and happy, which changes the meaning. With full pop production values and a chorus behind it, this song sounds like she's going to do all the things she says, get old, get married, get a house and have kids. With all that stripped away, it sounds like she's dreaming of something she knows she'll never do.

Mattie May Thomas
You keep on talkin' 'bout the dangerous blues
If I had me a pistol I'd be dangerous too
There's no picture here because there isn't one. She made maybe four recordings in her life, back in the Thirties. She was in prison. That's all we know. Other singers sound like they might kill people, Mattie May Thomas probably actually killed someone.

Ambrosia Parsley from Shivaree
Some may say I'm for you to use and throw away
Yeah that's what they say
But they'll say most anything to keep you away from me
But that doesn't mean that other singers can sound more like they'll kill you. The best part about Shivaree is the air of vague menace.

Which doesn't really come up in this song, oh well.




Neko Case
Does your soul cast about like an old paper bag
Past empty lots and early graves?
Neko Case is the person responsible for making me like Tacoma. Also she sings country songs about the Green River Killer.






Meiko Kaji
Iin na naomosa
Mitsumete aruku
Yami wo dakishimeru
Janomeno kasa hitotsu
(I walk with the weight of the Milky Way on my shoulders
But an umbrella that holds all the darkness that there is)
She's an actress in '70s Japanese action movies that I haven't seen, and she sings the theme song a lot of the time. This one is from Lady Snowblood. Oh, and also Kill Bill.

No comments: