20071017

feel good by numbers

Sunday I was walking around Capitol Hill and saw a poster for the Go! Team playing at Neumos, along with Bodies of Water (my current favorite band) and some other group I'd never heard of. It seemed really, really improbable that not only would my favorite band that nobody's heard of be playing in town, but that they would be playing along with another one of my favorite bands who are totally musically different. "Goddamnit," I thought, "I must've missed that and now I'll never get the chance to hear two of my favorite bands play together like that." But it turns out that the show was tomorrow. So I tried to call up people to go with me, but everyone who might've liked it was unavailable. "Fuck it," I thought, "I'll just go alone, and maybe meet some people that way."

I actually did meet a reasonably cool girl but was third-wheeled when her boyfriend showed up, unfortunately. And then I met a drunk girl who was kind of stupid and not very interesting apart from being called Lilith.

The group I'd never heard of was Team Gina, a really fun local lesbian dance-rap duo. They had some pretty hot beats and now I occasionally get lesbian rap songs stuck in my head.

Bodies of Water was amazing. Since you've guaranteeably never heard their music: they're like a gospel band for some dead, forgotten religion, joyous and triumphant with weird undertones of mysticism. The singer/keyboardist is a woman in a long, flowing hippie dress who jumps around like she's possessed, the drummer is an overweight middle-aged woman with a glittery butterfly vest, and the guitarist and bassist are nondescript men with glasses and beards. My best theory is that they're trying to summon some ancient god. They just might do it someday, too.

Also amazing: The Go! Team. They managed to make pretty much everybody in the house move, and then proceeded to set the air on fire. Also the lead singer is a pretty good dancer. Then they walked off, leaving a guitar humming loud on the drumset and the crowd clapped and chanted their name and they came back for a double encore. My ears rang for the rest of the night.

No comments: